Types of eating disorders and methods of treatment.
Eating disorder is a dangerous ailment that often leads to death, as well as to irreversible health consequences. In this article we will talk about the most famous eating disorders, their symptoms and treatment methods.
Types of Eating Disorders
It is worth noting that such ailments have become very widespread in the last 50 years. It was after the 60s of the 20th century that thinness began to be promoted in every possible way, as a symbol of health and longevity, as well as beauty. That is why women who are distinguished by magnificent forms, began to feel uncomfortable.
Very often, the appearance of eating disorders is associated with the popularization of thinness, and the imposition of model ideals with parameters 90-60-90. Symptoms of eating disorders are large, which depend on the type of ailment.
Types of eating disorders:
- Psychogenic overeating
- Psychogenic vomiting
Eating Disorder - Symptoms
As for anorexia, a person is overly keen on his appearance, and with normal weight considers himself overly fat, and is trying to reduce his weight and lose weight by extreme methods. And so almost any methods go in.
Eating Disorder - Symptoms:
- A person either eats nothing, chooses certain foods, ignores the rest or tries to compensate for the next meal with heavy physical exertion.
- Anorexia patients, after eating, are engaged in jogging or heavy physical exertion in the gym, at home. It comes to the point that weight decreases to a critical point, and at the same time, a woman has amenorrhea, that is, the termination of egg maturation.
- Menstruation at the same time stops, there is no ovulation. In fact, a woman becomes temporarily infertile due to a lack of fat and muscle mass. The most interesting thing is that in most cases women suffer from anorexia and bulimia, although recently among men there is evidence of eating disorders.
- This is due to the fact that now great demands are placed on women, which are associated with their appearance, as well as harmony. Now the man suffers from workaholism, as society imposes that he is obliged to provide for his soulmate and children, while the woman should look good and be slim.
Bulimia manifests itself somewhat differently than anorexia. It is a violation in which a person, after eating a meal and eating a portion of food, tries to get rid of it by various means. Most often causes vomiting, takes diuretics or laxatives.
All this is done so that the food that a person takes does not go into fat and is not put off in the form of excess weight. Bulimia sufferers, unlike ordinary people, are not always very thin, but can periodically gain weight or lose weight.
Why does an eating disorder appear, anorexia?
As the experience of many psychologists and psychotherapists shows, almost all eating disorders are associated with psychological and mental ailments, as well as violations. Very often they are symptoms or causes of a compulsive disorder.
Eating Disorder, Anorexia:
- People get an obsession to monitor their weight. They always seem to themselves insufficiently slender and strive for excellence. Psychiatrists noticed one feature that among anorexic women there are a lot of girls who suffer from perfectionism, try to always look perfect. They studied diligently at school and tried to fulfill all the requirements that were imposed on them by others.
- Usually the patient is very executive and demanding of herself. Constant discipline, as well as control, leads to the fact that a person stops eating a certain kind of food or practically does not accept it, which leads to a sharp decrease in weight and weight loss. Psychologists also found that anorexia, and other eating disorders, often associated with family problems in children.
- Anorexic mother is very strict and prone to perfectionism, requires a lot from her daughter. She always wants the girl to look good, neat, and studied well at school. The father usually behaves indifferently. Most often, a child studies well for the simple reason that this is the only way to attract the attention of parents and receive praise, as well as love and care.
- Thus, a person has a connection between getting good grades or achievements, as well as affection and love. In his understanding, only with the help of good grades, as well as achievements in sports sections, you can get approval, crumbs of love for your parents.
- In general, these are unloved children who suffer from psychological trauma, and anorexia is becoming one of the ways to attract attention. Thus, a person tries to become a teenager in adulthood, which is why he eats nothing.
Eating disorder - how to treat?
The treatment of an eating disorder is quite complex, and is not carried out at home. Regular communication and consultation with a psychologist as well as a psychiatrist is necessary. Initially, specialists work together with a nutritionist as well as a psychologist.
Eating disorder how to treat:
- The nutritionist, in turn, paints the food, and what a person needs to eat every day, each meal, and also specifies the amount. All this is done in order to completely instill new habits, regulate eating behavior, remove the disorder.
- The psychologist, in turn, copes with psychological disorders, and also treats the incorrect perception of a particular food. Family therapy helps, especially if the child suffers from anorexia or bulimia.
- This allows parents to better understand the process of what is happening, as well as adjust, refine the behavior of the child, instilling the right eating habits. That is, the main task is to instill the right eating habits, as well as remove the negative from any particular food that a person has not taken before.
Eating Disorder: Treating Yourself
In most cases, treatment of an eating disorder at home alone, without the help of specialists, is impossible.
Eating disorder, self-treatment:
- This is due to the fact that a person needs constant work, most often in the field of cognitive, behavioral correction, because in most cases the patient does not understand what he is doing wrong.
- With anorexia, it is necessary to instill in a person what forms are ideal and correct, and that the desire for excessive thinness is not ideal. It is necessary to open the eyes of a person so that he can look at himself soberly.
- Indeed, in most cases, such people, when they see their reflection in the mirror, observe not a real picture, but with an increase of 10-20 kg. Simply put, they seem to themselves very fat, so they tend to lose weight even more, despite the fact that there is nowhere else and critical weight.
Do not get hung up on your own weight. If you have serious problems, we recommend contacting a nutritionist.