In this article we will consider how and what to use fertilizers and folk remedies for feeding peonies.
Peony is rightly called the king of the garden. Its magnificent lush, fragrant buds attract attention, and its heady, dizzy aroma easily envelops in a haze of magical fragrance. In this article we will talk about feeding peonies.
How to feed peonies after winter in early spring?
In order for peonies to please the eye and serve as decoration of the front garden, today we will consider how, when to care for them, as well as how, and how to properly feed them.
- The peony itself is quite unpretentious and viable, unless, of course, all the measures of proper planting are followed and the place is successfully chosen
- This culture is quite hardy and tolerates both severe frosts and heat.
- On the roots of peonies there are many sleeping buds that change all the time. Do not try to "transfer" the plant from one place to another. With the right place, a culture can stay and bloom in the allotted time for up to fifty years, and there are times that last longer. For such favor, gardeners adore them and do not stop caring for them
However, in order for these flowers to please your eye, it is not enough to plant them on the site, it is also necessary to create favorable conditions for them, namely:
- Eradicate weeds to allow stems to break through
- Water and loosen the soil
- Fertilize the culture with various dressings and other necessary additives
- Prevent ailments
Caring for a crop in the spring is not difficult, but has a number of its own characteristics and characteristics. It must be said right away that not only top dressing is important during this period, it is also very important to ensure proper care for peonies and only after that proceed to their fertilizer.
- The ground part of the plant dies before the onset of cold weather, and in the spring the shoots grow back
- Weeds must be eradicated instantly so that they do not affect the growth of new stems. It is necessary to loosen the soil around the bushes very carefully, at least 12 cm from the bush, otherwise you can harm the sprouts that are trying to break through.
- It is necessary to try to scoop up the earth to the plant, while ensuring that the root system is protected with the necessary soil layer within 5 cm. This location of the rhizome must be constantly monitored so that it does not rise above the soil. If the root nevertheless rises above the surface, then the growing buds will suffer from cold or heat and will die as a result
As soon as the snow melts, as a rule, in the early spring, during the appearance of small shoots that begin to appear from the ground, the bushes of plants must be fed with the following nutrients:
- Trace elements
- Manganese solution
- Ammonium nitrate
Indeed, if untimely and insufficiently nourishes the plant bushes in early spring, it will not receive enough nutrients it needs and will lag behind in development and will be prone to diseases.
How and what to use fertilizers and folk remedies for feeding peonies in early spring after winter: rules, recipes and technologies
Among other top dressings, which are carried out during the entire growing season, a special place is given to spring. After all, it has a huge influence on how quickly the bushes will wake up after hibernation and whether enough forces will be accumulated to form and open buds.
In this regard, gardeners, who have long been engaged in the cultivation of peonies, carry out in the spring a whole series of complex procedures and manipulations that are aimed at fertilizing the soil with all the necessary substances, microelements.
The first stage of spring dressing falls at the end of April, beginning of May. It is at this time that the sprouts rise above the ground plane, and need organic fertilizers:
- Horse dung
- Bird droppings
The second stage of feeding plants of the culture occurs 14-20 days after the first. The goal, which is to provide the culture with all the nutrients during flowering:
- 35 g of phosphorus
- 25 g potassium
- Bucket of Infused Mullein
The third stage of feeding occurs after about a month, when the bushes have already finished blooming:
- Mullein infusion 1 bucket
- 35 g superphosphate
- 20 g of potassium sulfate
As previously reported, spring top dressing is very important. But also an important aspect is the selection of high-quality and effective fertilizer. The most common fertilizers include:
- Fertika allowed for use as much as 3 times in one season. The way to make it is as follows: you need to put a handful of fertilizer in the recess under the bush and sprinkle it with earth. At each stage of feeding, fertilizers of different types should be used: Kemira-Universal, also called Fertiku, is used in early spring before flowering, but Kemira-Combi is already used during the second recharge. This fertilizer is quite easy to dissolve, so you just need to pour it on the ground and pour water over the bush.
- Baikal EM-1 gained immense popularity among organic substances. He amazingly nourishes the soil, but also improves the very structure of the soil. But before directly fertilizing the peonies in the spring with Baikal EM-1E, it must be mixed with compost. In addition, the layer of such fertilizer should be within 10 cm.
- Chicken droppings can be used as a resource of nutrients. To make fertilizer based on it, you will need 1.5 liters of chicken manure and a full bucket of water. The solution settles for 2 weeks. Fertilizer is applied in this form 1: 3 with water. For the best effect, you can add a handful of wood ash to it.
There is also such a folk remedy for fertilizing these colors:
- 120 g yeast
- Glass of sugar
- Warm water to dissolve yeast
- A bucket of water
We dissolve sugar in warm water, and then put the yeast in the liquid. Leave the resulting mixture for 10-12 hours. After time, we filter the liquid, and then mix it with a bucket of water.
Experienced gardeners use such fertilizers to ensure the lush flowering of bushes. In addition, a solution based on yeast is ideal for just beginning to grow bushes.
How to feed peonies in the spring during budding?
As you can see, these flowers constantly need regular top dressing, and the period of formation of plant buds is no exception. Fertilizing the bushes of these plants at this time is very important, because after the winter period, peonies, like all plants, are very weakened and need to be replenished. Therefore, in this case, feeding can not be dispensed with, therefore it is unacceptable to skip the application of fertilizers that improve the budding of the crop.
So that the peony bushes for a long time delighted with lush and rich flowering, it is necessary to remove all buds for the first couple of years after planting them in the ground. This technique will enable the plant to take root firmly and further develop in the best possible way.Top dressing during budding
So, during the active budding of flowers, it is worth giving preference to such substances:
- Initially, it is worth giving preference to top dressings, which contain nitrogen and potassium
- Specifically, during the budding period, peonies must be fertilized with a mixture of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium
- After flowering, the plants can be limited to the introduction of substances such as phosphorus and potassium
How and what to use fertilizers and folk remedies for feeding peonies during budding: rules, recipes and technologies
The magnificent flowering of this culture falls on 3 years after planting it in the soil. By this period, the main stems in the amount of 10 to 15 pieces are fully formed on the bushes. During the formation of buds, fertilizing already formed bushes is also carried out.
To fertilize the culture during the formation of buds, you can apply such a liquid feed, which is prepared on the basis of the following components:
- 15 g of nitrogen
- 25 g of phosphorus
- 20 g of potassium
- 12 l of water
This amount of mixture must be diluted in 12 liters of water. The resulting liquid solution is poured under one bush. Therefore, it is necessary to carry out such a manipulation for each existing bush of peonies in the garden.Fertilizer during budding
Here is another recipe for a good feeding of flowers for this period:
- 2.5 tbsp. l nitrofoski
- 1 liter mullein
- 10-12 liters of water
We mix all the ingredients, let it brew a little and use it to feed peonies at the rate of 6.5 liters per bush.
- It will not be superfluous to spray the bushes with a solution of such a tool as "Bud". This tool helps to regulate plant growth. Mix the ingredients as follows: 1 g of the substance must be taken per 1 liter of water
- They also use wood ash, just sprinkling it around the bushes. For 1 bush you need 1.5 cups of ash
How and what to use fertilizers and folk remedies for feeding peonies after flowering in July, August: rules, recipes and technologies
Young peony bushes begin to delight us with their lush flowering only in the 3rd year after planting. Therefore, during this period they need nutritious top dressing, which is carried out in the spring and summer about 3 times.
The final stage of fertilizing with mineral fertilizers (potassium-phosphorus fertilizing) coincides with the first summer month. The following ingredients are used to prepare this type of fertilizer:
- 10 to 15 g of potassium
- 15 to 20 g of phosphorus
- Microfertilizer tablet
We mix all the ingredients in a container and fertilize the bushes with the resulting mixture in the cool or evening. It is important to know that peonies need to be fertilized with this mixture very carefully, without getting on the stems, otherwise it can cause a burn.
You can also use a mixture of the following ingredients:
- 2 tsp superphosphate
- 10 water
- Microfertilizer for flowering plants
It will take about 5.5 liters per bush of flowers.
Autumn top dressing of peonies, for the winter - fertilizers, folk remedies: rules, recipes and technologies
In addition to top dressing, which is carried out during the most intense stages of plant formation, an important place is given to autumn. In the autumn season, somewhere in September, early October, plant roots still continue to grow, while accumulating nutrients in their seals, which are very important for overcoming the winter period and spring germination. For this reason, you can not miss the autumn dressing of the culture.
You can use the following means for feeding. To prepare phosphorus-potassium fertilizer you need to prepare:
- 17 g of phosphorus
- 17 g of potassium
- A bucket of water
Pour liquid into the container and add our fertilizers to it. With the resulting mixture, carefully water each bush, without getting on the stems and leaves of the flower, in order to avoid dangerous burns that weaken the general condition of the plant.
The final feeding of pions is carried out using a mixture of such means:
- 100 g bone meal
- 1 cup wood ash
The resulting mixture must be spread evenly around each bush of the plant and loosen the soil, thus, the resulting fertilizer will penetrate to the right place. Here is another useful tool. This nutritious fertilizer for peonies can be prepared in a fairly affordable and simple way:
- In a prepared barrel, you need to breed a bucket of mullein with 5 buckets of water
- Next, put the resulting mixture in sunlight and let it brew for 2 weeks.
At this time, you need to do the following fertilizer manipulations:
- wait for active fermentation
- add 50 g of wood ash to the barrel
- 200 g superphosphate
- to stir thoroughly
- before watering, dilute the mixture with ordinary water
In addition to feeding flowers in the autumn, it is equally important to create good conditions for wintering:
- When the air temperature drops rapidly, the culture is exposed to adverse weather conditions, therefore, it is important to create the most comfortable conditions in which the plant will stay until spring. The most important conditions for a good immersion of a peony in a dream is cutting the bush and creating shelter for the peony.
- This procedure should be carried out in the last month of autumn, with the first frosts. Pruning bushes is almost complete removal of the stems. Leave only small shoots above the ground above the kidneys. As shelter, you can use opal leaves, humus, or peat. In addition, such a layer should reach from 10 to 20 centimeters, depending on how cold the winters are.
- Thanks to this manipulation, plants will be protected from frost and provided with the necessary elements for hibernation. For powdering bushes, preference should not be given to straw and wood chips. Indeed, under such a thickness, the formation of fungi and bacteria is possible. Throughout the winter, follow the bushes of peonies, it happens that the kidneys are exposed. If this happens, cover the shoots immediately. And when spring comes, the seedlings will need to be freed from the impromptu "bedspread".
In order for peonies to be healthy and delight your eye with their magnificent, luxurious flowering, it is vitally necessary to take care of them on time, efficiently, and, following all the instructions and recommendations.