From this article you will find out what is the norm of ESR after 50 years for women and men.
Our blood is very sensitive to changes in the body. The number of leukocytes, red blood cells, platelets and the rate of blood sedimentation, i.e. ESR, are changing. You can read more about this in article. And if we started inflammation in the internal organs, then the blood makes it known about this by increasing the erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR). And what is the norm of the erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR)? Does it differ in something from young and old people? Learn from this article.
The rate of ESR in people of different ages, and what is the difference in the rate of ESR after 50 years in women and men?
Consider the ESR rate for people of different ages:
- Newborn babies up to 1 month - 1-2 mm / h
- Small children up to 6 months - 12-17 mm / h
- Children under 10 years old - 1-10 mm / h
- Teenage girls under 13 years old - 4-12 mm / h
- Teenage girls under 18 years old - 3-18 mm / h
- Boys teenagers under 18 years old - 1-10 mm / h
- Young women under 30 years old - 2-15 mm / h
- Pregnant women - 2-45 mm / h
- Women under 40 years old - 2-20 mm / h
- Women under 60 years old - 2-30 mm / h
- Women after 60 years - 2-55 mm / h
- Men up to 60 years old - 2-15 mm / h
- Men after 60 years - 2-29 mm / h
For women and men at a young age, the ESR rate is not particularly different from each other: in women, the ESR level is slightly higher than in men, the difference is up to 5 units. A noticeable difference in the ESR norm is observed in women after 50 years. Why does this happen? In women, menopause begins in 50 years or about 50 years, and this greatly affects ESR: the erythrocyte sedimentation threshold can increase to 30 mm / h - and this will be normal, but if it drops to 0 it is also quite acceptable at this age.
An even greater difference in the ESR norm in women after 60 years, compared with men of the same age: in women it can reach 55 mm / h, in men up to 30 mm / h. For summer people, if they don’t complain of acute pain, this is a perfectly acceptable norm, as a lot of chronic diseases accumulate with age and the cells renew in the body more slowly.The average rate of ESR for men and women, and diseases associated with an increase or decrease in ESR
The rate of ESR after 50 years: why is ESR increased, what diseases is it associated with?
ESR usually rises if there is some kind of inflammation in the body, blood is very sensitive to the disease - already 1 day after the onset of the disease, the ESR level will be increased, and the highest ESR level is observed when the body begins to recover.
Attention. If ESR is elevated for a long time, we can conclude that your body is seriously ill, possibly a malignant tumor.
What diseases in women and men after 50 years are most responsive to ESR by increasing indicators from the norm?
- Rheumatoid ailments (arthritis, gout, lupus)
- Liver disease
- Heart attack
- Thyroid disease
- A tumor from the very beginning of its formation
- Acute infectious diseases (cystitis, kidney disease)
- After burns and wounds
Attention. A short-term increase in ESR can be observed if you abuse fatty foods, alcohol, and overeating.
The following drugs can artificially increase the ESR in the blood if you took them before donating your blood for analysis.:
- Hormonal contraceptives
- Drugs with estrogen ("Ovestin", "Dermestril", "Premarin" and others)
- "Aspirin" in large quantities
- Vitamin B2 in concentrated form
- Cephalosporins (Ceftriaxone, Ceftibuten, Cefditoren)
- Macrolides ("Erythromycin", "Azithromycin", "Midecamycin" and others)
- Anticonvulsants ("Carbamazepine", "Finlepsin", "Valparin" and others), are taken for epilepsy
The rate of ESR after 50 years: how to reduce the increased value of ESR folk remedies?
To reduce the elevated ESR content in the blood after 50 years in women and men can be folk remedies:
- Drink an infusion of anti-inflammatory herbs: chamomile, coltsfoot, calendula, linden, horsetail, sea buckthorn, 2-3 p. per day, several sips at a time. Drink no more than 1 cup per day.
- there is Vitamin C-rich fruits and vegetables (green onions, citrus fruits, kiwi), and thereby increase your immunity.
- Drink 100 ml of freshly squeezed beet juice, before going to bed, 10 days in a row, it lowers the erythrocyte sedimentation rate.
- Add boiled beets to salads everyday.
- More often walking on the street, in the fresh air - a lack of oxygen affects the rate of ESR after 50 years.
After 50 years, beets in any form can reduce the elevated ESR content from normal: juice, salad, beetroot
Attention. Beetroot has a laxative effect on stools, it is especially useful for people who have frequent constipation, and for those who often have diarrhea - you should not get carried away with beet salads.
ESR rate after 50 years: why are there lower values?
If the ESR norm after 50 years for women and men is lower or lower, although this is rare, especially for men, then it is also worth worrying, because this may indicate some diseases.
What diseases have a low ESR?
- Liver disease
- Muscle dystrophy
- Blood stasis
- With increased hemoglobin in the blood
- For some blood diseases
Reduced from normal ESR levels after 50 years in men and women also happen, and this is due to diseases
Attention. The following drugs can artificially lower the ESR level: non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Diclofenac and others), glucocorticoids (Cortisone, Dexamethasone, Prednisolone and others), salicylates, potassium chloride.
Normal ESR after 50 years: symptoms indicating a low level of ESR in the blood
Indirect signs by which you can find out that the ESR rate after 50 years for women and men is underestimated:
- Often there is weakness and dizzy
- Shortness of breath and dry cough
- Sometimes sick up to vomiting
- Frequent breathing
- Losing weight for no apparent reason
- Bruises on the skin from small touches
ESR norm after 50 years: how to prepare for blood donation for the determination of ESR?
The fastest red blood cells settle in the morning, therefore, appoint blood donation in the morning. Medical personnel take blood from ESF to determine ESR from a finger or from a vein, it all depends on which method your doctor has prescribed.
In order to correctly pass an analysis to determine the standard ESR after 50 years, you must first prepare:
- In the morning, before taking the analysis, do not eat
- 1 day before blood donation you can not drink alcohol, smoke, eat fatty and spicy foods
- Do not take medications, especially hormonal and vitamins in tablet form, and if discontinuation of treatment is not allowed, then you need to warn the doctor who prescribes to take an analysis that you are taking such and such pills
So, now we know what the ESR rate is after 50 years for men and women, and how it differs from the indications at a young age.